Online Backups

We’ve all spent money on external hard drives, DVD’s, and various other storage devices in an attempt to backup our important information. (You DO back up, don’t you???) And we’ve all spent cash on various software applications that will automatically back up our data, preserve full and partial archives, alert us to errors when backing up, etc. And we’ve all spent those boring hours dragging and dropping files from one location to another and watching them copy to a duplicate location.

Time consuming. And not really inexpensive.

And now, with the price of online backup options become more prevalent, many of those older methods start to seem a bit dated. I admit, I get a bit nervous about relying soley on an online site for storing my important documents and the thousands of digital photos I’ve collected over the years. But I have slowly begun to use online services for bits and pieces of my data…even if I’m also backing up to an external drive on my desk.

So how do you choose? The options are growing quickly and the prices are dropping. There really seems to be no excuse for not incorporating online services as at least a part of your security plan. And the best simple chart I’ve seen that compares the features of many of the online backup services can be found on Wikipedia. There is also a nice listing of storage locations with their free options and their paid storage options at tomuse.com.

3 thoughts on “Online Backups

1. I was just thinking about this topic last night. I have never been someone who backs up my work, and so far it hasn’t destroyed me. But since I am coming into a time crunch to finish up my schooling, I’d hate to lose my project work before I can defend it……so I was JUST thinking how I wanted to approach the whole “backing up” process and what I wanted to do….thanks for sharing!

2. I am still nervous about going to all online backup, I do a lot of online backup but also make sure that I have everything backed up on an external drive at home…just can’t give up that false sense of control yet. ๐Ÿ™‚